弥尔顿的一生跨过了整个17世纪的四分之三。正如我们所看到的那样,弥尔顿是他那个时代的文坛巨匠,是继莎士比亚之后主要的英国诗人。他的传记比其他诗人的更为重要也更为有趣,因为它与主人公生活时代的历史紧密相连。可以断言,任何一位诗人都受到他生活于其中的环境的影响,以及受到童年时代的影响,并且有一些诗人直接投身于实际事务之中。
About Milton
关于弥尔顿
John Milton was an English poet, polemicist, and civil servant for the Commonwealth of England. He is best known for his epic poem Paradise Lost.
He was a scholarly man of letters, a polemical writer, and an official serving under Oliver Cromwell. He wrote at a time of religious flux and political upheaval in England, and his poetry and prose reflect deep convictions and deal with contemporary issues, such as his treatise condemning licensing, Areopagitica. As well as English, he wrote in Latin and Italian, and had an international reputation during his lifetime. After his death, Milton's critical reception oscillated, a state of affairs that continued through the centuries. At an early stage he became the subject of partisan biographies, such as that of John Toland from the nonconformist perspective, and a hostile account by Anthony à Wood.
Samuel Johnson wrote unfavourably of his politics as those of “an acrimonious and surly republican”; but praised Paradise Lost “a poem which, considered with respect to design may claim the first place, and with respect to performance, the second, among the productions of the human mind”. William Hayley's 1796 biography called him the “greatest English author”. He remains generally regarded “as one of the preeminent writers in the English language and as a thinker of world importance”.
弥尔顿的一生或许恰恰是他所生活的17世纪思想史的基础。弥尔顿在他的青年时代就是一个出色的学者和早熟的诗人,其思想境界属于伊丽莎白时代。他出版的第一部诗集是1632年附于莎士比亚第二折本里的颂诗。
他创作了《快乐的人》《幽思的人》和《利西达斯》等精致美妙的短诗。这些诗作足以促使他在英国抒情诗坛上占据一个显要的位置。1642年国内战争爆发,他站在叛军一方,随后的二十年他背叛了缪斯精神,把主要精力投入到小册子的创作中,为自由党服务。后来他开始变得盲目起来,部分原因是因为他担任克伦威尔的外国语秘书。大英联邦失败王朝复辟之后,由于朋友的帮助和敌人的手下留情,弥尔顿幸免于走上绞刑架。退隐后,他把余生投入到他的杰作《失乐园》《复乐园》和《力士参孙》的创作中。因此他的职业生涯可以根据17世纪的历史划分为三个阶段:伊丽莎白王朝的尾声、共和国时期以及王朝复辟时代。
弥尔顿的早期诗歌并没有显出他稚嫩的痕迹,他初出文坛就立刻显示了他在抒情诗方面的天赋才能。二十一岁的时候创作的《基督教降生的早晨礼赞》气势宏伟,宣告了一个在其后时代创作基督主题叙事诗的伟大诗人的诞生。《快乐的人》洋溢着生活的欢欣。
Key words & Sentences
关键词句全知道
Who that has read Milton can ever forget him?
读过弥尔顿作品的人谁能忘记他呢?
Milton's Paradise Lost consists of twelve books.
弥尔顿的《失乐园》共有十二册。
The childhood shows the man, as morning shows the day. —John Milton
从童年可看成年,犹如从早晨可推知一天。——约翰·弥尔顿
Milton's literary achievements can be divided into three groups: the early poetic works, the middle prose pamphlets and the great poem.
弥尔顿的文学作品可分为三类:早期诗作、中期的散文小册子和后期的伟大诗作。
In Samson Agonistes, the whole poem strongly suggests Milton's passionate longing that he too could bring destruction down upon the enemy at the cost of his own life.
在《力士参孙》中,整首诗都强烈暗示着弥尔顿渴望他自己也能像参孙一样,以生命为代价,与敌人同归于尽。
Milton is the milestone significance in the history of European literature.
弥尔顿在欧洲文学史上是一位具有里程碑意义的人物。
John Milton is a famous man in English Renaissance and Revolution, and the idea of liberty is the central content of his thoughts.
弥尔顿作为英国文艺复兴和资产阶级革命时期的重要人物,自由理论是其思想中最核心的观念范畴。
Let me take you back to the seventeenth century, up to the very beginning of the literary reception of John Milton.
让我把你们带回到17世纪,约翰·弥尔顿刚在文学领域为人所知的时候。
John Milton, one of the most renowned poets of the English language, dedicates great enthusiasm to the narration and exploration of the temptation theme.
17世纪英国著名诗人弥尔顿在他一生的文学创作中对诱惑主题的描写和探讨倾注了极大热情,他对诱惑的认识是基于他的自由意志论的神学思想。
John Milton enters Christ's, where he studies until 1632.
约翰·弥尔顿进入基督学院学习,他在那里一直学习到1632年。
John Milton's Paradise Lost is a political and religious epic.
约翰·弥尔顿的《失乐园》是一部政治宗教性史诗。
They tried to appraise the poetry of John Milton.
他们试图评价弥尔顿的诗。
We have already encountered on some level the importance of the figure of eating to John Milton.
我们已经在某种程度上见识到了对于弥尔顿来说吃的形象的重要性。
John Milton has made a literary mistake.
约翰·弥尔顿犯下了一个文学上的错误。
This might be the first time that John Milton is actually attacked or brought to the attention of the English people in print.
那可能是弥尔顿第一次被抨击,或在出版界中引起英国人的注意。
John Milton will remain unique in English letters for the degree of thought that he gave to the shape of his literary career, or actually to the notion of a career at all.
约翰·弥尔顿在英语文学方面的影响是十分独特的,因为他深刻的思想塑造了他的文学事业,或者说,塑造了他对事业的看法。
Finally, John Milton leaves his father's house.
最终,弥尔顿离开了他父亲的家。
John Milton published his poems.
约翰·弥尔顿发表了他的诗篇。
Let's Talk!
开始交流吧!
Mike: Are you reading Paradise Lost?
麦克:你是在读《失乐园》吗?
Daisy: Yes, how do you know?
黛西:是的,你怎么知道?
Mike: I've borrow it once, but I never finished it.
麦克:我借过一次,但是没有看完。
Daisy: Why, it's a very classic good.
黛西:为什么,这是一本非常经典的书。
Mike: I know, but I can't understand it at all.
麦克:我知道,但是我一点都看不懂。
Daisy: That's because you do not have the patience to read it, it is very philosophic.
黛西:那是因为你没有耐心读下去,这本书非常有哲理。
Mike: I do not like books with deep meanings, I like stories.
麦克:我不喜欢深奥的书,我喜欢看故事。
Daisy: Then you can read Jane Austin's books.
黛西:那么你可以看看简·奥斯汀的书。
Mike: Yes, I have read one, it's very good.
麦克:是的,我看过一本,的确不错。
Daisy: I like Paradise Lost more, I think it's full of wisdom.
黛西:我更喜欢《失乐园》,我觉得它很有哲理。
Mike: Well, you keep on reading it, then you tell me what does it say.
麦克:那么你接着读吧,然后你告诉我它说了什么。
Daisy: Fine, it's your loss not to read it.
黛西:好吧,不看它是你的损失。